Saturday, April 6, 2013

Devoted to being Mexican

Marla and I usually make tamales around Christmas time, but due to our Japan trip it did not work out this year.  A year cannot go by without making our delicious tamales so we set a tamale making date.  It takes just about all day, but it is well worth the work.

This year our tamale fillings were:
1- Mom's recipe (chicken, cheese, olives, and corn)
2- Mediterranean (green stuffed olives and black olives, roasted red peppers, red onions, spinach, feta and mozzarella cheese)
3- Mexican (nopales*, jalapenos, corn, Mexican cheese, black beans, and onions)
cactus*

Just like my mom taught us, Elle is learning the tamale making process.

This is an uncooked Mediterranean tamale.

The girl's artwork on the sliding glass door matched the Mexican theme.  

We made almost one hundred tamales.  They freeze well and will be yummy, quick dinners and lunches.

My dad, Derrick, and Hilary joined us for dinner.  I think we had enough...

What?!  Dinner and a show?!  How awesome!  
It seems like I am the only one who is impressed with my attempt to hula hoop and do Skip-it at the same time. Believe me, this is no easy task.
Thanks for the great day, Marla!  Until next year.  I mean, see you in the car.  

1 comment:

  1. To answer your opening question, "Who Wants a Tamale?" it is so obvious- ME. Why couldn't you have had this tamale fiesta before coming to Tahoe? I love your tamales. I'm not certain about the nopales one though. That said, they all look scrumptous.

    As for the artwork, which "girls" created it. It's gorgeous. They inherited your mom's gifts. Wonderful.

    You crack me up Auntie Brady- hula hooping and Skip-it simultaneously! You're awesome.

    Looks like a perfect day. Thanks for bringing us all there with you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.