Thursday, January 8, 2015

I can't believe I am in Russia- Day 10- Potatoes versus the Hermitage (St Petersburg)

It snowed more than usual last night so they brought out the sidewalk plows.

Today is my last day in St Petersburg.  My goal was to visit the Hermitage.  The Hermitage is one of the largest and oldest museums in the world.  Catherine the Great founded the museum in 1764. There are over 3,000,000 items on display from all over the world, filling six buildings on the Palace Embankment (including the Winter Palace, once the residence of the Imperial family).

Everyone else had the same intentions that I did.  I stood in line for a little while, thinking that it was too cold and the line was too long.  I lost my interest and decided to leave.  I didn't have very much time left and I just didn't want to spend it standing in line for a bunch of art that compares to art that I have seen elsewhere.   


I chose potatoes and vodka over the Hermitage, and I haven't looked back.  

I played it safe and got to the Moskovskiy train station an hour early.
Mockba or bust. 

This is one of those times that knowing Russian seems dire.  


The Sapsan looks a lot more futuristic than the Nevksy Express that I arrived on, but it is just thirty minutes faster.  It is a lot nicer however. 

The Sapsan can travel 250km per hour, much faster than my camera's auto focus.

Upon my arrival to Mockba I discovered that the entrance to the metro is not close to the exit.  I wandered for a little bit but decided to ask a police officer with probably the most important word I learned besides spahseebah (thank you) and pahzhahlstah (please).  "Gdyet metro?" (where is the metro?).  
The man in this 50s looked at me, saying nothing, but gestured for me to follow him.  We walked around the block and I realized the entrance to the metro was right next to the entrance to the Leningradskiy station.  I saw the metro sign but he kept leading and I kept following.  He turned around periodically to make sure I was still there.  He not only walked me down the stairs but through the entrance to the metro where the turnstiles are located, finally stopping to open his arms wide which a proud smile, saying "please...", showing me the way with his arms.  
I love Russia.  

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I don't blame you for not waiting for hours for the museum. Yikes. Did they not have pre-sale tickets like all over Italy? I agree with your decision... potatoes and potato juice (Vodka) is a great choice. It looked delicious by the way.

    As for the warning picture in all Russian... scary.

    Sweet story about the gentleman leading you to the Metro. I'm glad that worked out so well. I was getting a little unnerved as you wandered about with him.

    Gorgeous photos. Fun tidbits. Nice poste.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.