Friday, February 16, 2018

Valle de Guadalupe

 
This is my sixth visit to Valle de Guadalupe, along the Ruta del Vino.  Every time I come here I immediately start to look forward to the next visit.  
From Oceanside it takes approximately two and a half hours to arrive at the first vineyard.  It is a long day but it is so worth it.  It is such a different experience in comparison to wine tasting in Temecula, which is much, much closer.

I have been enough times now to know exactly what I want and what I don't want.  I don't want to feel like I am wine tasting in LA or Temecula, or France or Italy.  I want to feel like I am wine tasting in Mexico.  Not the negative stereotypical Mexico, but the Mexico that I know and love.   
Welcoming and mellow, and proud of their product.


This is exactly what we found.  Which was easy considering I have been to both of the wineries that we visited today on previous trips. 
We started at Viñedos Malagón.
The last time I was here was with Kimmie and Nuno back in 2013. (Time sure does fly...)
This ranch has been in existence for over a hundred years, when Russian settlers began farming this land.  

Eric and I both enjoyed a large glass of red wine ($5 each), one glass of Equua and the other the Reserva.  Both are mostly Grenache "old vine" grapes, and are aged in oak barrels. 

My friends, Vanessa and Jennifer, went with the wine tasting ($12 each) which included two whites, a rose, and a red.  This is the second time that Vanessa has come wine tasting with me in Ensenada, and I have a feeling it won't be the last.  (I am a pretty dang good tour guide.)  


We were the only patrons on this early Friday afternoon (or was it actually beforenoon?) so it was extra relaxing.


The small Russian house is open to the public, and located right behind the new tasting room.  When Kimmie and I were here years ago the wine tastings were offered inside the house.  They did an excellent job with the expansion.  





God I love wine tasting in Mexico.  

Next we headed to Château Camou, a favorite of Eric's and mine the last time we were here together.
We were really excited about the little taco shop in the courtyard but they are only open on the weekends during summer.  Next time!


Château Camou has excellent wines and even better sommeliers.  
Valle de Guadalupe has a sommelier certificate program, which takes three years to complete (THREE YEARS!!).

We all decided to do the wine tasting (four tastings for $12, two whites and two reds).  

I do not typically drink white but I actually bought a bottle of this little gem.





Have I ever mentioned how much I love wine tasting here?


We wanted some good "economical" food so we were sent to the Adobe Food Truck.  Which was definitely the right choice.  The food was amazing and for less than $20 Eric and I ordered two sandwiches, agua fresca (strawberry and mango) and an appetizer.  



Although the food was ordered and created in a food truck, the seating was nice and looked more like a restaurant than anything else.


Our last stop was pretty spontaneous.  We saw a building in the hills and wanted to explore it.  We stopped into Cuarzo restaurant for libations and directions.

Okay, maybe we will be back to eat some other time.

We played around here for probably an hour.  It was really more of a construction site than anything else, but sticking with our theme of tranquility and isolation, it was the perfect way to end our wine tasting tour.



La Ruta del Vino is incredible.

4 comments:

  1. “Either give me more wine or leave me alone.”
    ― Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi

    I absolutely loved this post. The photo of Eric looking outward, seemingly pensively, is one of my favs of him.

    The carved rocks? What's their story.

    Oh, so jealous of the sunshine and 'skin' showing. It was 24° for the high and 4° for the low here in Tahoe.

    I need some wine and some sun :o) Thank goodness I get it vicariously from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My archeologist friend says they are probably natural with some human embellishments.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I just found this link to yer blog, my non-facebook friend. Hooray. Your trip down south looks heavenly. Ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time was had by all. I second the photo of Eric and also would like to more about the carving. Definitely another great post.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.