Saturday, March 10, 2018

Oceanside Big Year (4th Day)

Get on your galoshes girls, its time to go to the cemetery!

Oceanview Cemetery (previously known as I.O.O.F- Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery) was established in 1895.  This is my first time here.  It is a two-fer for me, I am on a birding mission.






#15- Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans)

#16- Red-crowned Parrot (Amazona viridigenalis
I ALMOST wasn't going to count this but it is in my Stokes Field Guide so...  

This non-native species endemic to Mexico has lived in California for over fifty years so is considered by Fish and Wildlife as a naturalized species.  


Our next stop was Buena Vista Audubon Nature Center in Oceanside (established in 1987).
There is a short nature walk attached to the nature center which leads out into the lagoon.  

#17- Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)
This is a female.  The males have a beautiful magenta head.  




#18- Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Achilochus colubris).  Male.

#19- Mallard (Anus platyrhynchos).  Male.



Bike parking.

On top of the nature center is a lookout platform which provides a nice view of the lagoon.  
The free-to-use binoculars are a bonus.

Back in the nature center we had a great time looking at all of the local species.  


Before computers, this circuit board was all you needed.  If you complete the circuit by touching the animal name and the picture of the animal the lightbulb lights up.


Now we all have birds on the brain.


1 comment:

  1. Brady, the purpose of the Big Year is to document all birds in your area. Often, they are migratory. Some only stop for moments, here in Tahoe, and if you're lucky enough to be there, then, you are the ENVY of all the other birders in the land. What I'm saying, is not only to the parrots count, ANY bird you see must be included. Keep them coming.

    I love the first boot photo. The girls look so happy and engaged in all the nature activities. You are the best auntie ever.

    I never knew about the cemetery. I love them, and the older the better. Next time, I want to go there! I love the IOOFs, too. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.