Monday, February 18, 2019

Day 1, Solvang, CA

 I am stubborn.  Or so I have been told.  
I would and do get bothered when anyone tells me that traveling stops when you have a kid.  Why would who I am as a person change with a child?  That is kind of the whole reason for having a baby, to share your world with them.  
So, here we are on our first overnight road trip as a family, not to prove people wrong, but because this is what we do (and it just so happens to prove people wrong).
We stopped in Solvang on our way to Morro Bay, which is just over an hour further north. It took us three hours longer than expected to get here from Oceanside, not because of the baby but because of traffic.

I have never been to Solvang and I was pleasantly surprised.  It is a fun place to walk around, and because it is weekday during the off season, it is not crowded.

The Solvang Brewing Company has great burgers and beers!




I tricked my Dutch friend  into thinking that we were in her motherland with this picture, so they must be doing something right with their architecture!  Ha.
I asked her if there is a place in Europe that is like USA land, besides TGI Fridays.  But there isn't. 
After a little research I realize why, because Solvang was actually founded by Danish immigrants.  The immigrants wanted to buy a large area of land on the West Coast that they could divide into smaller plots for farms for other Danish immigrants, and build a Danish community.  Mission accomplished!
Although now just 10% of Solvang is Danish, it is still known as the Danish Capitol of America.
Let the family adventures begin!

1 comment:

  1. Our travel really didn't begin until we had children. We wanted to expand their horizons and the best way to do that is to travel. I fully support your decision to hit the road with your darling bundle of adorableness!

    As for Solvang, it is a quaint, unique place to visit. So glad you finally got there and darling photos!

    “Through travel I first became aware of the outside world; it was through travel that I found my own introspective way into becoming a part of it.” – Eudora Welty

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.