Saturday, January 4, 2020

Salt Lake Trip- Beehive House

Third time is not a charm.  We drove to Snowbird again, but 70 mph winds means that the gondola is closed to foot traffic.  Oh well, it will give us something to do next time we are in the area.


One attraction I found that peaked my interest was the Beehive House, the home of Brigham Young.  

The Beehive House, along with the Lion House next door on the left, is where the LDS church president lived with twelve of his wives (you need two houses with that many wives).  He actually had sixteen wives in total but they didn't all live with him.  Brigham Young founded the Great Salt Lake City and was the first governor of the state of Utah.  That and 59 children will keep a man busy.

This is the Lion House where most of the bedrooms were located.  The Beehive House (which we toured) is where much of the business took place.  
I wonder if he ever got tired of mansplaining things to all of his wives.  It must have been exhausting.  

I have to say, I think this was the most amazing part of the house, an original pre- Civil War map which shows no Idaho, no Nevada, no Arizona, no Montana...  I could stare at this map for hours.

Brigham Young was a carpenter and built much of the house.


The tours are free and run when there are people interested.  I would definitely recommend it.

We are enjoying our last day in Salt Lake City.
Love the architecture,

love the random pigs, 

love the mountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.