Friday, June 13, 2014

Tecate, MX

I heart Mexico.

Raya, Josh and I took a trip to Tecate for the day.  Tecate is unlike any border town that I have ever seen or heard of.  It is small and sleepy, and has so much character and history.  
Unlike many places deep in Latin America I do not have to fight to speak Spanish.  It is the best place to go for a taste of Mexico without a flight or long car ride.  
Now that I have explored on my own and with company over the past 8 months I have my set walking route of Tecate faves.   

La Iglesia Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, built in 1955.


El Mejor Pan, a family owned bakery established in 1969.  

My museum, el Museo Comunitario de Tecate, a more recent addition.  

The Frank Lloyd Wright inspired railroad station built in 1915, a major contributor to the town thriving.   




Another major contributor to the success of Tecate since 1944, la cerveceria.



My absolute favorite taquería, Los Panchos.  


And finally, el parque Hidalgo.  I do not know when the park was constructed but I think the roots of this tree speak for the themselves.  





2 comments:

  1. Wow. It looks so different when it's summer. I so want to go now. Great memories from Tecate. I think you could go into the Tecate Tour Business.

    I hope Raya knows how lucky she is. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all the Tecate spots you took your friends! They are definitely some Tecate’s greatest hits and are all within walking distance of the border. The Iglesia Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe is beautiful in its simplicity. Parque Hidalgo is also a great place to people watch and buy souvenirs while not feeling like in tourist trap. I also have to agree with Los Panchos being the best carne asada tacos in town! I would recommend that next time you go to Tecate, you should visit Helados La Reyna (it’s on the same street and just a short walk east from Los Panchos). They are the oldest ice cream shop in Tecate, open since 1962 and in my opinion have the best popsicles in town! Especially their milk based fruit paletas!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.