Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Oceanside Big Year (8th Day)

#24- American Coot (Fulica americana)
Coots look like ducks but they have smaller heads.  They are more related to a crane than a duck!

#25- Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)
The juvenile gulls have mottled plumage for the first few winters.


The main purpose of my walk today was to get over to the Jolly Roger, where they have three noisy bird species that have completely taken over the trees.  The Snowy Egret looks beautiful but it sounds horrendous! 

#26- Black Crowned-Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)
No, I didn't make up the latin name.
The birds looks so cool too, but look prettier than they sound.


#27- Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
These birds sound like pigs.  I have never heard anything like it.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, our Oside sojourn was so brief and busy I missed all of these birds. Wow. You are kicking butt with your species count. I love these posts. Great job Brady with the sound descriptions and information. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.