Saturday, May 9, 2020

Oceanside Walking Tour, Part 500

This Verizon store on Mission Avenue and Coast Highway was built in 1927.  
It started out as the Bank of Italy but just three years later the Bank of Italy changed its name to the Bank of America.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Oceanside started holding meetings upstairs in 1924.  For forty years the downstairs was rented by JC Pennys.


I love the brickwork. 
Brick isn’t a building material you see too often in our neck of the woods, you know, because of earthquakes... 


This church is one of the oldest buildings in Oceanside, built in 1886.


Lastly, on our five hundredth (more or less) two hour long walk through Oceanside, we stopped by the Seagaze post office.  This building is Oceanside's first permanent post office.  
It was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, which provided work to skilled men during the Great Depression.

I am not sure if these are original, but I love the post office boxes here.

Wouldn't you love to see the WPA workers faces, pausing from their work in 1936, look outside and see this vehicle?
I know this is an understatement, but the world sure has changed over the past century.  

2 comments:

  1. What a great tour of Oceanside. I won't tire of them even when you do the 501st one. So cool. Do you know if the Post Office has a WPA mural in it? That was a really big thing that I would love to see. Fun post. I'm so there, virtually. P.S. My 68 year old cousin bought that car (a slingshot) in lime green. Until then, I had never seen one. I appreciate the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to go inside for a picture of the mural but the main office was closed. I have seen it many-o-times! It is cool.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.