Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Sea glass in Oceanside


I went to the beach today in search of sea glass. 

Sea glass is frosted glass produced through physical and chemical weathering.
The more frosted the better.  It commonly takes twenty to forty years for sea glass to get its characteristic shape and texture.  Some sea glass comes from ship wrecks!

It is very rewarding to find, and to hold.
People's ability level to find sea glass is not equal.  My sister and my nieces are REALLY good.  
Me, not so much.  I only found two pieces!  I told myself that I would be happy if I just found one. But I guess I lied.  To myself.  
So strange that I would do that.

I really wanted to find kelly green, one of the most common colors of sea glass.  Other common colors are white, clear and brown.  These are common colors since they are typical colors for beer and soda bottles.  Rare colors like jade, amber and blue come from things like medicine bottles, ink bottles, and whiskey bottles.  Black sea glass is the rarest, not just because it is difficult to see but because of its age.  Black is one of the oldest glass bottle colors, used by Romans throughout the Roman empire.  

Bummer.  This one isn't ripe yet.  
The thing about finding glass at the sea, that isn't sea glass, is that you can't leave it for weathering to occur naturally.  Over the next twenty years, someone could step on it.  
So sorry, Glass, you are on going to be dump glass instead of sitting pretty in a jar in the bathroom.

1 comment:

  1. I love sea glass. We went to sea glass beach (where you are suppose to look but not take). It was spectacular. I didn't even think to look at Oceanside for some. I know people have found it in Tahoe. Hmmm. Let the search begin.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.