Thursday, May 21, 2020

Starfish, Sea Stars and Asteroids

Spontaneously this afternoon we decided to not pack up, and head to the beach.  Ha.  I mean we didn't pack anything because technically you are supposed to be active if you go to the beach.  You can't have chairs or beach blankets or toys or anything.  So with our baby, a bottle of water, a snack pack, bodies pre-slathered with sunblock, and a flower picked along the way, we headed to the beach.  It was the best decision, and the most fun hour, of our day.


I can't believe it!  
We even found a live sea star!  
These little hands wrapped tightly around a never seen before creature makes me feel like this quarantine is not going to have long lasting emotional effects on A1.

When I was little, I would have called this a starfish, but when I started volunteering at Birch Aquarium I started referring to them as sea stars and I never looked back.  People are against using the term starfish because fish are chordates and sea stars are echinoderms.  Apparently there is yet another name for these echinoderms, asteroids!  Asteroids comes from their classification as asteroidea.  But if starfish isn't used because they aren't actually fish, then I don't think asteroid is a great supplement.  

Whatever you call them, they are fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. Beyond amazing! What a magical day. I learned something new today. Woo hoo. Thanks babe. "Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away."

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.