Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Colosseo

For our first day in Rome Fred and I went straight to the Colosseum. We took the metro there.  It was very impacting to walk out from the metro and be standing directly in front of the Colosseum. Fred was very excited to be there, as he loves the movie Gladiator and other similar movies. Fred and I bought our tickets online through omniticket and so we didn't have to wait in line at all (my OCD planning realy pays off!). I was a little apprehensive about buying the ticket online but it was totally legit. They just scanned our printed ticket. It was a perfect way to begin our European vacation.

The Colosseum was completed in 80 A.D. and could house 50,000 spectators for such events as battle re-enactments, animal hunts, and plays.


The Arch of Constentine can be seen from the Colosseum. It is part of what my travel hero Rick Steves calls the 'Ceasar shuffle'.

From the Colosseum we walked over to the Palatine, it was included with our Colosseum ticket. The Palatine is where many affluent Romans once lived.

It is unbelievable to see statues carved out of marble that look so lifelike. Sometimes when I see a painting I think 'I can do that'. But I never feel that way when I see carved masterpieces like this one.



From the Palatine we walked to the Roman Forum, ancient goverment buildings in the center of Rome.


Our first day in Europe, and Fred is feeling right at home...

1 comment:

  1. Your explore of Roma is enviable! You two fit more in one trip than most people fit in a lifetime.

    Benjamin Disraeli said, about Rome, "A great city, whose image dwells in the memory of man, is the type of some great idea. Rome represents conquest; Faith hovers over the towers of Jerusalem; and Athens embodies the pre-eminent quality of the antique world, Art."

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.