Saturday, December 21, 2013

Kumiai Winter Solstice Observatory Site

Who wants to spend their first day of winter break waking up at 4:40 to go on a sunrise hike?  I do!  
My friend Lisa couldn't have agreed more so she joined me on the mission.  
I read that the Kumiai have been visiting a sacred spot at the top of Cowles mountain to observe the winter solstice sunrise for possibly thousands of years, and I wanted to experience it too.  

We were not the only people at the base of the mountain ready to hike to the highest point in the city of San Diego.
The trail was like a New York City sidewalk, as Lisa so elliqantly predicted. 


We were so lucky with the weather, the view was spectacular and uninterrupted.  

We arrived just in time, we had about 15 minutes to spare before sunrise.  
Winter solstice sunrise hikes are crucial if you want to maximize the shortest day of the year!  




I would have loved to see this when it was just the Kumiai who lived here.  

Instead we had to share, but there was plenty of view to go around.  

Lisa and I were thinking that it would be fun to check out other peaks to watch the sunset on upcoming winter solstices, possibly places that are less popular?  

Happy Winter Solstice 2013!

1 comment:

  1. If I lived by, I would have so gotten up at 4:39 AM to spend a sunrise with you. You guys look so content.

    Gorgeous photos. What a perfect day to embrace all that is offered to you. AND then share it with us.

    You are way fun Brady.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.