Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Oceanside Star ⭐️ And Sunshine ☀️ Theaters

In 1936,  Margo Theater opened to the public.  Then in the 1980s, the public wanted something else; the theater changed to Towne Theater, where adult films (films rated with a letter towards the end of the alphabet) were shown.  
Later it became a karate studio.  
Finally, it was bought by the city and converted into the live performance theater it is today.


 Star Theater, with its animated neon marquee, is an Oceanside icon.  It was built in 1956 by William Balch, one of seventeen theaters designed by the architect (although the only one that is still open).  At one time, it was the largest theater in San Diego county.  

I so wish I could have seen Oceanside in its heyday, which did not include the 80s and 90s...

I think it is amazing that Oceanside has held on to so much architectural history.
Bravo, Oceanside.  
Bravo.

2 comments:

  1. I have loved the architecture of the Star Theatre. I so appreciate your history lessons. So very, very interesting. When was Oceanside's Heyday? I know it was incredibly popular in WWII and afterward. Another lesson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the 1920's, when the city slogan was "Oceanside, California's pride".

      Delete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.