Friday, July 4, 2014

Colombia/Panama Day 7: Cartagena- portal de los dulces and the quarter finals

I started my day at portal de los dulces.  Before my arrival I was set on trying a Caribbean sweet.  But after watching them being hand made on the street yesterday it just wasn't in the cards.  


These muñecas de leche were specifically recommended, but these little babies did not look appetizing at all.  Maybe if they weren't so BIG...  



I found myself wandering again, which is really the only way to do it Cartagena since every street (that is EVERY street) changes its name EVERY block.  I suppose it is nice because you don't have to memorize an address to tell taxi drivers (just a street) but let's be honest, it doesn't seem like the best system.  

I thought this was my favorite balcony of the day,

until I found this one!  With all the different sherbet flavors of bougainvillea set against a yellow house... amazing.    


WAKE UP!  WAKE UP! I want a popsicle!
I didn't really do that.  Even though he deserved it after what I went through yesterday.
I just found a different popsicle vendor.  You snooze, you lose.  



Next on the agenda was where to watch the game.  

I was pumped after seeing this guy!

I decided that on this hot day watching the game under a large tree sounded nice, at least it was a little bit of an escape from the heat.  

At half time (once again, is that right?) when Brazil was in the lead I decided it was time for me to go back to the hotel and watch the game from there.  With the increased police presence and the fact that Cartagena citizens do not follow the nationwide ley seca I figured I couldn't go wrong by leaving, especially when you see how they reacted to just gaining the ball (watch the video).   
Brazil ended up winning.  I later went out into the street and it felt like I was in another city; it was quiet and hardly anybody was around.   Awe, I wish Colombia would have won!  Cartagena está deprimida.

2 comments:

  1. There you are with your Popsicles. Such a sweet tooth. For some reason when I click on your videos they say "video private" and won't play. Probably a personal problem and I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The videos work great for me. I love the celebrating. I can only imagine what it would have been like had Columbia would have won. Wow.

    This line made me laugh out loud, "...but these little babies did not look appetizing at all. Maybe if they weren't so BIG... " Still laughing about it.

    I love the yellow balcony too. Great vibrant colors. I love all the yellow shirts in the crowd too. AND the guys head... awesome! That is really something else. Wow.

    You are really having fun and I love seeing it all through your eyes.
    Keep blogging Brady.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.