Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Mon voyage. Jour numéro dix-neuf. Tour de France.

I have good timing.  I planned to be here for July 14th (French independence day) but at that time, I did not know that le Tour de France would be starting in Carcassonne on the 13th.  That is just good travel juojuo (that is French for juju).  
The race started at le Partail des Jacobins (1779), at the entrance of Ville Basse, the "new" part of town.

I arrived an hour before the race start time so I could people watch and figure out where to stand to watch the race.
The pomp man with the sweater tied around his neck is the Direction Général car driver.



It rained just a little before the race started.  The big problem was not the rain but the wind.  In fact, it was attributed to an accident or two after the race started.  There were gusts of more than 32 km/h.


One of the racers got a Senseo sample as he was waiting.



I ended up with a pretty good viewing spot!



After the trail of racers was a trail of their crew, followed by a trail of medical aid.  
It was even more impressive than I thought it would be.  


1 comment:

  1. Oh man you got THE BEST SPOT for viewing the race. Thank you for the video of the start's countdown. The announcer's voice got me hyped up. I can't imagine how it was being there.

    And you even threw in some history. What awesome timing. You scored Brady. Wow.

    You epitomize this quote:
    "Instructions for living a life:
    Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it."
    -Mary Oliver

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.