Monday, July 20, 2020

The West (Day 16)- Astoria, OR


Doe, a deer, a female deer, watching me brush my teeth in the morning... 🎝
(This girl was on our lawn when we woke up.)

Our morning started out at county jail (and this was a good thing).
The jail in Astoria is in the beginning of The Goonies.  
It is now an Oregon film museum which would have been cool to see (but we didn't).

Today we are taking a stroll through Astoria to see some historic homes, many of which were built in the 1800s.
The area we are in right now was at one time filled with Astoria's most influential citizens (ship captains, elected officials, cannery magnates).  
They got the stellar views.


Buck, a deer, a male deer, with his tongue hanging out...  🎝
(Two deer in one day, not bad.)

I am sorry officer, I didn't see the stop sign...



So many of the houses we saw today are listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The John Hobson house was built in 1863.


One of my favorite things about these homes are the doors and porches.
They are filled with so much detail.







I love old glass.

I guess people didn't need garages for their numerous cars and overflowing possession in the 1800s.
That must have been a SAD life.  Haha.



This house needs a little TLC.  
But I would love to see the inside.


The Flaval house was built in 1884 for a sea captain.  Captain George Flaval was one of Astoria's most influential citizens.

The Flaval house is now a museum.  Although we did not go inside the museum, we enjoyed the heck out of the outside.  We took over this underused picnic table to eat our lunch.

A1 and I hung out on the grounds while Eric went to Custard King.


I/we got a homemade lemon curd frozen custard milkshake.  It was divine.

I had to get the fish and chips, again.
Rogue is still the winner.
These fish were cod and not halibut, so they were a bit fishy.  So fishy, in fact, that Eric doesn't think he will ever eat fish again (and he never ate fish before so that is saying something).

I guess it is all on us to find the best fish and chips.

I am sure we just scratched the surface of the oldest U.S. city on the west coast, but you have to start somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, so much in this post Brady. Where to begin??? First off, that Stop Sign is a riot. What's the story there. I've been to Astoria P.L.O.H. (pre-love of history). You really went beyond the surface. I love all the homes, details and side stories. WOW.

    Sorry about the fishy fish and chips. I'm with Eric. If I get a bone, I'm done. I can imagine having too pronounced a flavor (what we called fishy when I worked at a Seafood restaurant). Keep sharing your fun. I am loving it all.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.