Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thai food

This was our first meal in Thailand. I just had to get the pad Thai. I was interested in knowing how different U.S. Thai food is from real Thai food. What we discovered is that there are few differences! Besides the side of MSG, and the whole prawns napping on top it tasted the same as the States.  It was delicious!

I also had to immediately get the Tom yum, since it is another favorite of mine. Tom yum is soup with lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, veggies and coconut milk. It seems as though Thai restaurants in the States are holding true to traditional Thai food.   :)

Spicy spaghetti with dried sweet basil is an interesting dish. The flavor was great but the texture was a little strange. I have never had large pieces of dried anything in pasta.

We ordered Pad khee mao (drunken noodles) with vegetables at a restaurant called Nooddi. (Pronounced 'nude-ey'??)  This dish is spicy but the vegetables tend to cool off the fire, oh, and the beer works well too.

This noodle dish wasn't on the menu. I told them I wanted noodles and vegetables and this is what they brought me. I was not disappointed.

I kept seeing 'pad Thai in an omellete' on menus, and eventually caved in. I couldn't quite picture what it would look like, or taste like.
Instead of the egg being inside the dish (like traditional pad Thai) it was outside. It was definitely more filling!

Som tam (papaya salad) is made with long, thin slices of papaya, lime, peanuts, dried shrimp, and (like most dishes we ate) fish sauce. I could have done without the dried shrimp...



When in Chinatown... eat Chinese! We found this popular restaurant while exploring the streets.  A man with a French accent working the door convinced us the food was good. (A french guy working for a Chinese restaurant in Thailand. Sure, why not?)

We started with dim sum and fried crab.

For a main course we had 'Hong Kong fried noodles with seafood'. The food was great, but I personally would like to see less legs and heads in my food.





In the fishing village of Don Hoi Lod we watched crab walking on the sand at low tide while we enjoyed some more Tom yum soup.

Once again, LOVED the flavor BUT would enjoy less body parts attempting an escape from my soup while I eat.  :)

Fred ordered the fried prawns a few times but eventually gave up the dish. He just couldn't figure out how to eat them properly. Shrimp are much less work!





On the dive boat breakfast was sweet rice with custard wrapped in banana leaves (I think I ate 3!), Thai donuts with sweetened condensed milk drizzled on top (I want to make this at home), and bananas.




While in Cambodia we ate the most amazing Vietnamese food. The fried spring rolls were full of spices and veggies, including potatoes, and were absolutely incredible.

We ordered more coconut milk and veggie soup with rice. Every bite was mouth watering.

The traditional Cambodia dish amok (above) is fish with coconut sauce steamed in banana leaves. The fish is extremely moist and flavorful.  I love coconut milk. Mmm mmm.

After meals in Cambodia we were brought fresh cut mangoes which were perfectly ripe. 




Near our hotel in Bangkok was a very popular (with the Italians and other tourists) Italian food restaurant. We got pizza one night, and this veggie calzone another night. I think the calzone was 3$.





There are authentic Indian food restaurants all over Thailand.

The naan and palak paneer was a tasty change from the local Thai food.




We had about 4 days left in our trip when Fred had to indulge in some Mexican food. Fred Sr. recommended this restaurant to us. It was not like any Mexican food I have had before, although it delicious. It was just a different style, lots of sweet onions and peppers. It was very savory.



The margaritas in Thailand are not bad at all...





While doing some souvenir shopping in Chiang Mai we stumbled upon a small bistro. The chef/owner overheard Fred speaking with the waiter about ordering a vegetarian breakfast and came over to discuss options (his English was very good and they like to practice). He came up with this egg dish with sauteed mushrooms that Fred thought was "awesome".





I can still taste this yogurt, it was the best I have ever had. The owners of our hotel (Hansaah in Bangkok) make their own yogurt and it is to die for. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where to begin. I almost wish I could comment on each photo separately. Wow. Each food photo gets amazingly better when you click to enlarge. The body parts become more "real" and more disgusting. The tentacles escaping the King Kong dish (upper left of plate)- YIKES. It's fun to see your adventurous spirit via the food you eat, before the activities you do! Looks like your stomachs were happy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.