Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pisa

On our way from Florence to Cinque Terre (our next home base) we spent an hour or so at Pisa. There is not much to this city so I was fine with taking pictures, picnicking, and quickly passing through.



What is the one thing you wonder about the leaning tower of Pisa?
WHY is it leaning?!
It is information that is missing from the construction history placard in front. I guess the world will never know...


Fred and I decided to walk back to the train station a little early as it took even less time than I imagined to see Pisa. We walked back to the same station we got off at (Pisa S. Rossore) and discovered that I could not buy our tickets to Cinque Terre there and so, with our bags, we ran 3 km to Pisa Centrale train station and bought tickets with 5 minutes to spare. The important thing...we made it!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I had to know...The tower began to sink after construction had progressed to the second floor in 1178. This was due to a mere three-metre foundation, set in weak, unstable subsoil, a design that was flawed from the beginning. Construction was subsequently halted for almost a century (Thanks Wiki).

    As for the train tickets, way to rally! Stressful but good for you guys! Love the photos but where's the 'aerobic' photo :o)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.