Wednesday, July 11, 2012

La Arquitectura de Granada, Nicaragua

When I began researching which countries I wanted to visit in Central America one reason I chose Nicaragua is for the colonial architecture.  I understand that Spanish colonization was not necessarily a positive thing but the architecture is so beautiful I cannot help but seek it out.  I have not been disappointed with my visit to Granada.  I wanted to find a city that I could just walk the streets and admire, and that is exactly what I have found. 
The picture above is la catedral de la Asuncion, taken from the bell tower of la iglesia de la Merced. 


Inside la catedral de la Asuncion (construction started in 1857 and took over 60 years to complete).
The tile and colors are incredible.   

City shot with volcan Mombacho in the background. 

Love the colors, and the lighting. 

And the colors...

There are two blocks (at least) of markets that fill the streets near el parque Colon.  It is a sad reminder of how poor the country is.  The streets here smell like sewer water.  I hate saying it because I love everything that I have seen so far, but it is true. 

From the top of la iglesia de la Merced.

La iglesia de la Merced (built in 1782, and reconstructed in 1863 after American colonel William Walker attempted to destroy the city).

Inside la iglesia de la Merced.

Outside la iglesia de la Merced.

La iglesia Xalteva, originally built in 1534 and rebuilt after Walker in 1862.

Next to el parque Colon. 

La iglesia de San Francisco, built in 1529 and rebuilt after Walker in 1867.

2 comments:

  1. Wow the buildings look so amazing so much history to them. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears that you are alone on the spectacular streets. The colors are so vivid. One could not help but feel cheered by the artist palate that are the buildings there. Wonderful. I especially like the lamp shadow.

    Again, you made me curious. William Walker (May 8, 1824 – September 12, 1860) was a US lawyer, journalist and adventurer, who organized several private military expeditions into Latin America, with the intention of establishing English-speaking colonies under his personal control, an enterprise then known as "filibustering." Walker became president of the Republic of Nicaragua in 1856 and ruled until 1857, when he was defeated by a coalition of Central American armies. He was executed by the government of Honduras in 1860.

    Funny that filibustering means something so different now. Looks like Mr. Walker got what he deserved.

    Great history lesson. Fantastic photos. Admirable adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.