Thursday, July 5, 2012

Managua y Musica Nicaraguense

Yesterday after teaching my English classes at La Mariposa I went to Managua for the evening.  I caught a gorgeous sunset on Lake Managua while waiting for others from La Mariposa to arrive from their tour of Managua.  I was little nervous about venturing to Managua sola because everyone kept telling me how dangerous it is (not to wear jewelry, etc.) but it was totally fine. 

Afterwards we all went to La Casa de los Mejia Godoy to listen to music by one of the most famous and influential singers in Nicaragua, Luis Enrique Mejia Godoy.  He and his brother, Carlos Mejia Godoy, received the highest cultural award in Nicaragua, Order of Ruben Diario, for their traditional Latin American folk music mixed with social and political commentary. 

Music runs in the Godoy family, and is a big piece of Nicaraguan history.
 His son, Luis Enrique, is well known in the United States and has won numerous Grammy's.
It was an interesting day but I wish I would have realized what a treat it was to listen to this famous singer en vivo! 

1 comment:

  1. Is Luis Enrique Mejia Godoy actually there, singing to you? What a diverse experience you are having. Wow. I can't wait for you to sum it all up when you're done. Maybe write a book (like you have nothing better to do).

    I envy the adventure. Happy to be there vicariously with you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.