Thursday, July 12, 2012

Un Día en Granada

My morning began with a boat tour of las isletas, a chain of 354 small islands about 20 minutes from Granada by boat.  The island chain was created when volcan Mombacho erupted about 20,000 years ago.

The population of the islands is about 2,000; it used to be inhabited by only fisherman and boatman but now some of Nicaragua's wealthiest (and a few from the US) have houses here as well. 

There is a small island with monkeys (but they were brought in for tourist enjoyment). 

This small island has a primary and secondary school (we picked up the owner of the boat's daughter and dropped her off at her island).  There are cemeteries and churches on other islands too, so going too so if you live here you don't have to continuously make trips to Granada. 

I was worried about the septic entering the lake directly but there are pipes that go to Granada so the lake is kept pure. 


La iglesia Guadalupe, originally constructed in 1626 but has not looked the same since it was destroyed by William Walker. 

On my way back to the city center.  I love the colors.

Today was the hottest day yet (although not 104 like it is in Temecula).  I couldn't resist popping into an ice cream shop for some relief from the heat.  Mmmmmmm, lemon. My favorite!

I spent an hour wondering around the old convent/ museum next to la iglesia San Francisco.

These are religious sculptures which date from 800-1200 AD, taken from the island of Zapatera in Lake Nicaragua.

The ceramics in the museum are amazingly detailed and unique. 

I cannot help but take pictures of the street... it is all so beautiful! 

I love Granada but I am happy with what I have done in two days and am ready for my trip to Isla Ometepe tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. The boat trip and city look beautiful but I am glad no one decided to sit next to you.

    Love
    Husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the 'cute' statue. I had to research the island where it was found. The island, declared National Park in the beginning of 1983, is an important archeological site for its enormous quantity of statutes, petroglyphs, and ceramic artifacts that have been left here and on neighboring islets during pre-Columbian times when this was an important ceremonial area for the tribes inhabiting the zone before Spanish colonization.

    I can only imagine how amazing the museum was. What a fantastic day of adventuring. AND you look great. You must be feeling better :o)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments/questions/opinions here... I will get right back to you.